05 May 2008

Vacation.Cruise2

Photobucket Album
Carnival in Sint Maarten

We left Sint Maarten last Tuesday...Wednesday? I'm not sure. All these days are running together. After we left, we began our 5 days at sea, crossing the Atlantic. I cannot believe how calm, beautiful, peaceful the ocean has been...the entire trip. The seas have been calm and the weather outside has been in the low 70ºs. The sun has been warm, the breeze cool, and the sky clear. After getting on the open seas, we began having to change our clocks one hour every night to prepare for the 6 hour time change (for me) once we arrive in Italy. Each night, before going to bed, I make the rounds and move all my clocks forward 1 hour. So, instead of going to bed at 11PM, its actually 12AM...which has made for some very confusing mornings. Having an interior cabin has been wonderful. I haven't missed being able to see the ocean or have sunlight in the least. At night...or for that matter, at 2 in the afternoon, my room is as dark as pitch. When I wake up in the morning, I literally have no idea what time it is until I look at my watch. Then, add the time change on top of that, and it really messes up my internal clock.

Life aboard ship has been fun, interesting, entertaining. Traveling alone...combined with wearing my sunglasses and my iPod turned *off* has made for some very interesting observations of people, their behavior, and their conversations. I think people are basically complainers at heart and this trip has really confirmed that. It is amazing to sit and listen to folks on a luxury cruise, spending and eating what 95% of the world will never experience, and yet still finding things to complain about. Its been very convicting to me. I´ve found myself trying to be more patient, express gratitude to those around me, and find even the smallest things to be thankful for. I´ve loved the reminder of how blessed we are, no matter how much or how little we have. You'll be proud to know that I've only pushed the worst complainers overboard.

I continue to find all manner of ways to get into trouble on the ship. James, one of the cruise directors, convinced me to participate in The Dating Game...a game I even avoid in real life. I was the selecting Bachelor...and my oh my, what a selection I had to choose from. My "choice" was a little less than choice: a 3 time divorced grandmother of God knows how many his, her's, our's. Then, dream of dreams, we were awarded an excursion in Madeira to visit the wine country and numerous vineyards...all with tastings, of course. And this was to occur today, May 5, ironically my 2 year anniversary of when I quit drinking. The Lord certainly has a sense of humor. I graciously declined the "opportunity" and gave the excursion to Granny and her (heretofore absent) NASCAR boyfriend. There's certainly a wide range of passengers on board the Carnival Freedom.

I've met some fun people...even a few barbershoppers who were excited to hear that I sing with the Vocal Majority. They were mainly excited because they wanted to tell me how we're "ruining the society with our non-barbershop music" along with some lovely things to say about some people that I respect. Yes, of all the oceans and all the ships, I find a KIBber infestation on my ship. Also met some fun folks from NYC. I had a spa day, got my teeth whitened, am playing volleyball and minature golf, and now am heading back out to the streets of Madeira, Portugal. We'll be in Malaga, Spain, on Wednesday, and then land in Livorno, Italy, on Friday. Can't wait!

Love you all. Thank you for your emails, comments, messages, prayers, etc. I miss you and think of all the fun things we would enjoy if you were with me. Of course, the invitation is still open to join me in Italy from 9-23 May! Michael

No comments: