23 September 2011

40 Hours and Counting!

Well, I've committed to keeping a blog updated of this little journey I'm about to take. So I had might as well get started.

By my calculations (of questionable quality at 12:45AM), I'm 40 hours away from departure. In case you have somehow avoided being sucked into my vortex of trip preparations over the last 6 months or so and are in the dark as to what I'm referencing, I'll give some details.

On Saturday, September 24, I'll be traveling from Dallas to Athens, Greece, for the first part of my little journey. After 10+ days exploring the Peloponnese Peninsula, I'll cross the Aegean Sea by boat through the Greek Islands and eventually take land in Kudsadasi. This begins the Turkey leg of my trip. I'll finish up my 10+ days traveling around Turkey in Istanbul, when on October 17 I'll fly to Amman, Jordan. Once there, I'll meet up with my parents and a pre-arranged tour group of those well-eligible to receive the full value of their Social Security benefits. For the last third of my trip, I will be spending 10+ days visiting holy sites in Jordan and Israel with my mom and dad.

It's gonna be a great trip. After months of planning, I think I'm actually ready to go. I'm even a little excited! Forgive my understated enthusiasm. I've been consumed with buying travel insurance, informing credit card companies I'll be traveling internationally, buying sink-washable articles of clothing, and learning all I can about the countries I'll be visiting.

Tonight, I actually went ahead and prepped my backpack. While I've been gathering things for a while now, tonight - two days before I leave - is when I like to pack in anticipation of needing to leave as much time as possible before I leave for unexpected developments. So far, so good. Here's what my uncompressed bag looks like:


Of course, 'Quito is more than curious about all this movement and preparation around the house. For those pet-lovers out there, my parents will take care of the "grandcat" until they leave, and will then pass off the scooper to a trustworthy neighborhood child. You'll notice his plaid carrier on the lefthand side of the picture. This is his cat-carrier. I've learned the hard way to get this out a few days before I leave. This saves me a last-minute freak-out trying to extract my anywherebuthomeaphobic cat from behind the dryer.

OK, I'm sleepy and need to get some rest before tomorrow. I only slept 4 hours last night and need to catch up tonight.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to comment, share the blog with your social networks, or eat an entire pan of brownies. What do I care? I'm going on vacation! Good night, friends.

Location:Still in Dallas...

1 comment:

Jon Bozar said...

I hope these posts get more exciting!! Have a great trip!