28 September 2011

Yes, just like JR Ewing.

I realized today there are a number of things I do when I'm traveling that I never EVER do when I'm home:

• When people see me, often their first question is (and lately, with a Greek accent), "Wherrre arre yoooou, frahm?" I'm not criticizing, but rather just trying to accurately represent the experience. Rather than start with the 'United States' - and maybe this is just the Texan in me - I just say 'I'm from Dallas.' Without exception, young or old, male or female, I receive one of two replies: "Like JR Ewing?" or "Dallas Cowboys!" Yes, 80's drama and Pro Football are our exports. I do suppose that's better than being known for Rick Perry or George W. Bush;

• Language is another big area of difference. Learning Greek is just not an option, so my new friends and I default to English. To ease their transition and to be understood, I speak clearly, slowly, and use a first grade vocabulary, 'I like your city. It is nice. People are friendly.' Or as the day wears on, I eliminate articles and go straight to the salient nouns, 'espresso, ice, big, no sugar'. If you've never listened to the story of David Sedaris learning to speak French, give yourself a gift and listen to Jesus Shaves;

• Sight-seeing in an urban center is different than touring the countryside or staying in some resort somewhere. Besides the obvious differences, the main obstacle than comes to my mind is 'Where can I use the restroom?' Now, you'd think this was simple enough as to just go into any building and ask. But that solution has already occurred to every Mauricio, Ian, and Svetlana also touring this city. And the shopkeepers have responded with a resounding, "WC for customers only". This further complicates things as now I have to coordinate purchases and the potty. So here's my confession, and I'm not proud of this, but sometimes I will pretend to shop only to duck into the restroom and lock the door when the merchant is not looking. This usually works out, but there are times when I'm the one who is surprised.

Today was my day to sightsee in the city of Athens. I got my bearings yesterday, and today was all about the Acropolis, the National Archeological Museum, the Agora, and a walking tour of the city. It was a full, but exciting day with more than a few surprises. While visiting these wonders, I had two separate men, probably in their 80's, initiate conversations with me. Both had lived for a time in the United States, but based on their English, it was either a long time ago or they stayed mainly with other Greeks. In addition to using the Greek version of personal space, they both were very insistent on me going with them to a.) a bar to try ouzo and orange juice, and b.) come home with them and meet their daughters. And by 'very insistent' I mean they took me by one arm and put the other around my waist and began walking me down the street. By the second guy, I had my story down: 'Thank you but I have a woman waiting for me...if you know what I mean .' Of course, I meant Martha, the receptionist at my hotel.

I had timed my walking turnoff the city for me to be at the Areopagus or Mars Hill by sunset. This was the site on which the apostle, Paul, addressed the Athenian scholars, philosophers, and teachers of the day. In later centuries, this same area would host Socrates, Plato, and Arisotle. What a rush to worship on top of Mars Hill and read Paul's words from Act 17, spoken almost 2,000 years ago on this very spot:

“The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands." Acts 17:24

With the Acropolis clearly visible in the distance, Paul was making a powerful point both about the culture he was addressing and about the God we worship.

Good night, dear friends. Tomorrow, I hit the road!

Location:Αν. Ζίννη, Athens, Greece

1 comment:

Kasey Spain said...

"By the second guy, I had my story down: 'Thank you but I have a woman waiting for me...if you know what I mean .' Of course, I meant Martha, the receptionist at my hotel."

funniest bit of this. love reading it. such great adventures ;)